Simple steps to help you complete your flood plan include:
- Signing up to Flood Warnings Direct to receive free messages when flooding is possible in your area
- Checking your insurance policy covers flooding
- Knowing where and how to turn off your gas, electricity and water supplies. Mark them with coloured tape to remind you which one is which
Preparing a flood kit with essential emergency items:
- Copies of your home insurance documents
- A torch with spare batteries or a wind-up version
- A wind-up or battery operated radio
- Warm, waterproof clothing and blankets
- A first aid kit and prescription medication
- Bottled water and non perishable foods
- Baby food and baby care items
- A list of important contact numbers
Considering what things you would move first if you received a warning. Are there some things that would be worth keeping upstairs permanently.
These Factsheets are available to view online, download or print out.
A flood plan allows you to keep information you will need in the event of a flood in one place. Once you have completed your flood plan, register it with the Environment Agency by calling Floodline on 0845 988 1188. Keep it in a safe place.